ALL COURSES CURRENT FOR 2024!

Call Us Today!

What Adjusters Must Know Before the 2020 Storm Season

Storm season is upon us once again. The storms themselves bring with them their own set of challenges – strong winds, torrential rain, and a few hailstorms here and there, to name a few.

This year promises to be even more of a challenge due to the lingering threat of COVID-19. This, along with homes ravaged by floods, wind, rain, and debris may cause a deluge of insurance claims across the entire state.

As an insurance adjuster, it is your role to verify all those claims – and it will be quite challenging. Here are some things that you should know (and prepare) to make it easier for you.

Storm Season Begins June 1

It’s going to be a busy storm season this year, which begins June 1 and will run until November 30. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) announced in their 2020 Hurricane Season Outlook that this year proves to be a busy one.

According to the outlook, this year’s storm season has a 60% chance for above-normal activity, 30% chance for near-normal activity, and 10% for below-normal activity. Additionally, they predict that there will be about 13 to 19 named storms (those strong enough to cause considerable damage), 6 to 10 hurricanes (75 mph winds or higher), and 3 to 6 hurricanes (111 mph winds and beyond).

Key Takeaway: With knowledge of what to expect for storm season 2020, you can anticipate when the calls will start coming in while also keeping careful note of weather forecasts. Plan accordingly. 

The Unique Combined Threat

This year has been difficult, to say the least. The country continues its battle against the threat of COVID-19, even as the Texas storm season 2020 approaches. The greater population will need to adjust their efforts as they prepare for the storm while adhering to health and safety guidelines from the CDC. 

As for first responders, facing the combined threat will make emergency response more arduous than it already is. This may hamper response time quite a bit, which could lead to more property damage and perhaps a few more casualties.

Key Takeaway: In light of the recent issues faced by insurers due to a lack of economic activity, responding to multiple claims at a time will be very difficult. The best thing to do is to plan ahead and prepare to navigate the potential complications caused by the dual threat.

What You Need to Prepare

As an insurance adjuster armed with knowledge of the situation today, you need to prepare for what’s to come during the 2020 storm season. Here are a few things that you need to keep in mind:

  1. Make sure your license is still valid. Know which states they apply and what type of claims you can accept for each state.
  2. Have your vehicle inspected and subjected to maintenance. 
  3. Prepare all personal protective equipment in case you have to make an on-site visit.
  4. Check the condition of all the tools you need for adjusting. Create backups if you must.
  5. Keep all your communication channels open for cases that do not require a personal appearance.

Share:

Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
LinkedIn
Call Us Today!