Your state does not offer a state-specific
insurance adjuster license for an independent adjuster, but you have options!


Maryland Insurance Adjuster Licensing

While Maryland does offer and require license for public adjusters, they do not license independent adjusters. For Maryland residents wanting to work in states other than Maryland as an independent adjuster, a nonresident Designated Home State (DHS) All-Lines adjuster license can be obtained from Texas and is a great option to enter this career. Having a DHS license will allow you to get licenses through reciprocity in most of the states (but not all) that require licensing. We have the courses to help you get started in this process.

What is a nonresident Designated Home State License?

It is when another state that you don’t live in allows you to get a license in their state as if you were a resident in that state. So while it isn’t licensing you in your home state, it is allowing you to hold a license in another state as if you were a resident there. It allows you to work in the state you received the DHS license as an independent adjuster.

What is reciprocity?

First let’s understand what reciprocity isn’t. It doesn’t give you permission to just go to any other state and begin working claims. Reciprocity is a mutual agreement between states that allows an adjuster with a license in one state to apply for a license in another state without having to take the state’s exam or go through a separate licensing process. You will have to fill out an application and pay any fees required to get a license in that state issued to you. Not all states offer reciprocity, but many do for independent adjusters holding a license in their home state or “designated” home state.

Applicable Training Courses

The Texas All-Lines Pre-Licensing Course will prepare you to become licensed in Texas and get you started. Click here to learn more and register for this course.


Q. What Should I Do To Become a Maryland Insurance Adjuster? (Not for Public Adjusters)

A. Get a Texas All-Lines Insurance Adjusters License  with Texas as your “Designated Home State”. Since there is no such thing as a Maryland Insurance Adjuster License, you should get a license in a state such as Texas that allows you to get a “Designated Home State” license if you are from a state that offers no licensing.

Q. How do I become licensed in the state of Texas?

A. Here are the steps you need to take:

  • Complete the Texas All-Lines Pre-Licensing Class
  • Get fingerprints to submit with your application.
  • Complete the Texas application choosing Texas as your “Designated Home State”.
  • Submit the application to state with:

Q. How do I contact the Maryland Insurance Administration?

A. Their contact info is as follows:

2021 Training: Your Texas Licensing Source

2021 Training teaches you everything you need to know about insurance adjusting, from ethics and caseload management to Xactimate software – at home, in your spare time. Call us today to learn more about the Texas All-Lines Insurance Adjuster License and adjusting claims in Texas and all across the USA!

3 Options, 1 New Career

Take the next step and get the licensing and training to prepare for a new career. Purchase the course that fits your needs and be on the roster for the next big storm.  Start your new career in a field that isn’t affected by the economy. Yes, it’s that simple. See you in the classroom. 


Texas P & C Adjuster Pre-Licensing Online Course

Our most basic option allows you to adjust all types of claims, with the exception of workers’ compensation claims. This course is suitable for Texas residents and residents of the 16 states that don’t offer licensing. Includes everything you need to meet the Texas Department of Insurance education and testing requirements.

Texas all-lines aduster pre-licensing course


Texas All-Lines Pre-Licensing Course

This course allows you to adjust all claims, including workers’ compensation claims. Like our Texas P&C course, this one contains everything you need to get licensed in Texas. If you reside in a state that does not offer state-specific licensing, simply designate Texas as your home state and you can work in any non-licensing state through reciprocity.

Texas all-lines aduster pre-licensing course


Smart Start Pack

The 3-course Smart Start Package is our bestseller and our best value. It includes everything you need to know to jump-start your career. You’ll receive all the must-have training for field and catastrophe work,  insider tips that most adjusters won’t have, and crucial Xactimate training, which is needed by all adjusters. It’s the smart choice for a smart start down your new career path!